Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yes She Can!

One of the things that I learned early on first with my son and now with my girls is that kids have the ability to be your biggest joy and also your biggest embarrassment.  It is universal as a parent you discover something new that your child can do and then you brag on it and when the child is called on to do it ---- they don't --- and you look crazy.


With my son it was the basics. "He can talk" and he wouldn't.  "Watch him dance" and he would promptly sit down and stare into space when the music came on. It was almost like he took joy in making us look foolish in front of friends and family because on several occasions as soon as his audience turned their backs or left the room he would "genius" up again.


Now having twins has kicked this dynamic up a few levels.  People are fascinated with what they are able to do. Do they have a secret language? Are they developing at the same rate? Where are they similar and what is different about them?  A few days ago I fell back into this trap because after ten years with no baby I simply forgot the great baby switch up.


I was out shopping and a lady stopped me telling me that she had twin adult daughters.  She said "are they really into just each other and no one else?" "No" I quickly retorted. In my nine months with my girls I have found that they are both friendly and engaging babies.  They soak up all the attention that being new babies and twins gets them. 


The lady feeling encouraged bends over the stroller where Ava my oldest (2 minutes) shuts her eyes tightly and turns her head to the side and my peanut Bella opens her eyes wide like one of those spooky old fashioned dolls and places her lips together and starts to spit.  I try to coo them into being friendly or at the very least to open their eyes and stop spitting and my efforts fail big time as my "friendly" babies give every indication that this stranger would be best suited to get out of their faces right now.


The woman backed up from the stroller and gave me the seasoned mom "you better fix that now face."  As she walked away, I glared into the stroller and Ava opened her eyes and smiled and Bella broke into a smile and cut off the sprinkler system.  They were happy babies again that had made their point --- we run this! They took advantage of my long infant mommy break and I fell into their trap. Yes, ladies you won that one, but trust your mom is back in the game now!



Alec (my 10 yr old) Quote of the Day:

He's been out sick from school for a few days.  At my wits end with how the cold medicine is doing absolutely nothing I decide to just disinfect everything: bedding, carpet and him.  Nothing like a warm shower to sometimes make you feel a bit better.

After the shower ......

Me: Do you feel better?

Alec: No, I feel clean tho.

The boy is honest :)





LaDawn Black is a relationship expert, author and media personality. Cocoa Mommalicious is her forum for sharing tales from the mommy lines, love lines and life lines. For more information visit www.ladawnblack.com .

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was just me who goes through this. Im a mother of four. Girl 17, boy 9 and twins (girl/boy) 7 1/2 months. They never show and prove around anyone but are loud, biting, crawling bundles of joy at home. Out of all the many questions I'm asked about them the one the make me give ppl that "go back to school your dumb face" is.... Are they identical or fraternal. Yes they are identical girl/boy twins. Lol.

    My 9yr old sees a sign posted near the near by woods one day and says,"no dumping! So ppl can't go to the bathroom right there." Priceless. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanteia:

      I am so going to post on the dumb questions people ask about twins in the future. I get the --- are they identical? It takes everything in me to not say -- are you serious!?! my girls are different sizes, different skin tones, different hair color and one looks like me and one looks like my husband --- they look nothing alike and it amazes me that people continue to ask.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete